0° F

November 2017

GREENWOOD TOWNSHIP SUPERVISORS MEETING MINUTES

NOV 14, 2017                                     6:30 PM

Chair Bassing opens the meeting

Pledge of Allegiance

Roll call: Chair Bassing, Vice chair Deluca, M Ralston, P Skubic, L Tahija, Treasurer Rodgers, Clerk Drobac

Please turn off all cell phones and pagers.  This meeting will be recorded for transcription and archival purposes.

Motion: Tahija\Bassing to approve Oct meeting minutes                 Discussion   Not passed 1/4          Bassing voting yes

Treasurer report: Checking-$311,502.37    Long Term Investments-$251,499.47   Savings-$226,698.26      Total: $789,700.10

Motion: Deluca\Skubic to approve treasurer report                          Passed 5/0

Claims presented

Motion: Ralston\Bassing to approve claims presented                    Passed 5/0

Public comment:  Mike Indihar and Steve Lenertz talked about acquiring property for the Penguins Snowmobile Club through the township.   Noreen Butalla, Greenwood Community Recreation Board recommends having a skating rink, to include with other expenses for the township.                              Barb Lofquist-no more money should be spent on having water at the pavilion.       Mark Drobac would like an inventory of equipment publicly owned.                         Mary Richard talked about trying to get the skating rink going-was assured last year by Supervisor Ralston the township would have a skating rink. Also, the 911 system should be given to the county. Mary is a volunteer and does a lot for the township and felt slighted when Carmen said all volunteers need to be certified, etc.                Jeff Maus noted Soudan has old hockey boards and he is willing volunteer to help flood the rink.

Correspondence: e-mail from Mark Peterson talking about the NSF faucet, needing to be changed. Letter to renew Lake Vermilion Chamber of Commerce membership. SLC letter about Grants.  Letter about Foster Grandparent program. Minutes received from SLC Association of Townships.   Variance scheduled for Debevec. Facts and findings for Meyerle. Letter for tax forfeit property the township can acquire. Letter from Dave Seppelt regarding the Cook-Orr Hospital District. Letter from Barb Lofquist regarding procedures and state laws not being followed by the fire dept. and township. Letter from Heisel Brothers Plumbing – regarding the faucet installed and the new NSF faucets.

Concerned citizens- e-mail from Tom Bakk saying he has no plans to introduce legislation this upcoming session regarding greenwood related to the cook area hospital district.

OLD BUSINESS

Motion: Ralston\Deluca to move Assistant chief position and Administrative Assistant position hiring to later in meeting               (Chief Fazio will be late)                               Passed 5/0

Motion: Bassing\Ralston to approve Vermilion Trail Joint Powers agreement without Breitung                     Passed 5/0

Motion: Bassing\Ralston to appoint Lee Peterson as a representative of the Vermilion Trail board                                               Passed 5/0

Fire Dept. plaques for retirees- have been received and Maltese cross plaques have been given to all retirees

Outside faucet-Heisel changed the faucets because they were not NSF approved. No hoses are to be used.

Airboat is back – needs exhaust repair and should be run once a month. Should use aviation fuel. Ralston requested in writing the recommendations for maintenance on the airboat, to go to the fire dept.

NEW BUSINESS

Deluca install new mailbox

Discussion on hiring maintenance person – part time or on call                    Motion: Bassing to advertise for an – as needed basis- maintenance person                                         failed no second

Resolution: Bassing\Ralston to approve donation from Bois Forte                               Passed 5/0

Resolution: Bassing\Deluca to approve donation from North Country Quilts           Passed 5/0

No spending authority for any supervisor.                             Motion: Deluca\Ralston for supervisor Deluca, in charge of maintenance, to have $1,000.00 spending authority.                       Passed 3/2   Ralston \ Bassing against

Motion: Deluca\Bassing to approve change to Techbytes, with Dustin Miller for website work               Passed 5/0

Ice rink- Ralston to get the rink prepared

Motion: Bassing\Ralston to designate absentee ballot \ polling place as Greenwood Town Hall 3000 County Rd 77, Tower MN  55790 for March election      Passed 5/0

Howard Ankrum reported for fire dept—recommends Mike Indihar for Assistant chief position, and Tammy Mortaloni for Administration Assistant position.   No applications were available.

Reports: Fire Dept.- runs- 3 fire, 10 EMS, 1 drill, 1 meeting, 7 trainings, 3 vouchers. 2017 state fire aid is $12,580.40. Did training on the airboat. Boat 2 is now in storage. Have 3 sets of turnout gear – need to purchase 2 more. Need to purchase 4 gas meters and 6 pulse oximeters for EMR’S. Firefighter classes start in Jan.   Safety -officer out of the area    911- 2 new address and 2 new signs.                       Clerk- septic not pumped- will be done in the spring.  Old Electronics sell?                                                            Ballots made on paper?                                                                                                                                                                                                           Motion: Bassing\Ralston to create ballots for the March election   Passed 5/0          40th Anniversary changed to August 25, 2018.                      Bassing gave a thank you to volunteers-Lee Peterson, Mike and Mary Richard and Dan Karakas.          Ralston-feels we need to keep on top of the Cook Orr Hospital District.                                Jeff Maus point of information== in the fire dept meeting- Chief Fazio did not give names of applicants for open positions in the fire dept.

Motion: Ralston\Deluca Table hiring of open positions in the fire department, as Chief Fazio is not at the meeting                Passed 4/1 Bassing no        Bassing noted the Township attorney recommends going ahead with hiring.

Junk mail will be available for viewing and then will be recycled

Motion: Bassing\Skubic to adjourn                           Passed 5/0                          8:00 PM

 

Sue Drobac                                                                         John Bassing

 

Clerk                                                                                      Chair

 

 

 

 

 

 

BACK TO TOP