March 22, 2011
Clerk Trancheff called the meeting to order at 6:30 pm.
Present: Supervisors Tom Aro, Gene Baland, Carmen DeLuca, Kirsten Reichel, Mary Worringer, Treasurer Clark, Clerk Trancheff
Nomination of Chairperson: Sup. DeLuca nominated Mary Worringer.
MOTION: DeLuca/Reichel to close nominations and cast unanimous ballot for Mary Worringer as Chairperson. Approved 4/0 (Worringer Abstained)
Nomination of Vice-Chairperson: Sup. DeLuca nominated Tom Aro.
MOTION: DeLuca/Reichel to close nominations and cast unanimous ballot for Tom Aro as Vice-Chairperson. Approved 5/0
MOTION: Aro/DeLuca to approve the 2/8/11 (x2) and 3/8/11 meeting minutes. Approved 4/0. (Baland Abstained)
MOTION: Reichel/Aro to approve the Treasurer’s Financial Report for February, 2011: Checking – $274,499.21 / Investments – $241,817.38 / Savings – $144,512.57 for a total balance of $660,829.16. Approved 5/0.
MOTION: DeLuca/Reichel to pay claims #13804-13824 for a total of $4,745.69. Approved 5/0. Sup. Baland asked if it was possible to review the bills prior to the meeting. He was advised that depending on the calendar – the bills may not be completed till the day of the meeting – he would be able to come down to the office prior if he wants to review them. The Chairperson always comes in and initial claim forms.
MOTION: Worringer/Reichel to dispense with paying for the MN Benefit Life Insurance Program. Approved 5/0.
MOTION: Reichel/Aro to issue payroll and fixed bills on April 1. Approved 5/0.
- Tower Historical Society Thank you
- SLCATO minutes
- Couri MacArther Ruppe proposal for legal services
- Wayne Suoja – trail
- Need for Schools Survey Request.
MOTION: Reichel/Aro to contact Couri MacArthur & Ruppe in regards to arranging for a seminar to be located at the hall or close. Approved 5/0.
MOTION: Reichel/Aro to set the 2nd Tuesday at 6:30 for the regular board meetings. Approved 5/0.
MOTION: DeLuca/Reichel to appoint Queen City Federal as the official depository. Approved 5/0.
Official Newspaper quotes were received from the Timberjay and Tower News:
MOTION: DeLuca/Worringer to appoint the Timberjay as official newspaper. Approved 4/1 with Baland voting No.
MOTION: DeLuca/Aro to appoint Scott Neff as attorney for the township. Approved 5/0.
MOTION: Aro/Baland to appoint Carmen DeLuca to the Planning Commission. Approved 5/0.
MOTION: Baland/Reichel to appoint Ellen Trancheff to the Joint Powers Recreation Board. Approved 5/0.
MOTION: Baland/DeLuca to appoint Mary Worringer to the Lodging Tax Board. Approved 5/0.
MOTION: Aro/DeLuca to appoint Gene Baland and Kirsten Reichel as Roads Liaisons. Approved 5/0.
MOTION: DeLuca/Baland to appoint Mary Worringer to the Tower Ambulance Commission. Approved 5/0.
- Information Requests-$20.00/hour plus postage and copying
- Planning Director and Assessor have use of FD Boat #2 and Township Pickup – Head of Maintenance to operate Boat and truck if needed
- Persons on TB Agenda – if specific information is being sought, request must be made in writing and submitted to the town clerk one week before the meeting. If person is wishing to address the board at a meeting, a brief of what the topic will be and request to address the board three days prior to the meeting.
- *Note-there will always be the ability to address issues at the town board meeting but if specific questions are asked, it is helpful to have advance notice in order to expedite getting an answer.
- Responses to lawsuits should be reviewed by the chair prior to sending to the attorneys.
Local Board of Appeal and Equalization will be May 5, 10-11 am.
MOTION: DeLuca/Baland to advertise for interested persons for the Board of Adjustment. Approved 5/0.
April 1, 2011 – Township Officers Spring Seminar at Black Bear Casino: Sup. Aro, Baland, DeLuca, Treasurer Clark, Clerk Trancheff attending/
- Tennis courts were approved at the annual meeting.
- Sup. Aro explained that a grant to the DNR is due April 1. The township needs to provide some specific information to proceed. It is a 50/50 matching fund grant request.
MOTION: DeLuca/Aro to approve the Resolution to apply for grants for the Greenwood Township Tennis Courts. Approved 5/0.
- Fire Chief Kregness gave the Feb. report which was quiet.
- Safety Peg Nelson is working on the dog issue.
- Planning Director Julia Maki is working on Ordinance issues and permit requests are picking up.
- Maintenance Pat Trancheff busy as usual. Will be trying to find the break in the power going to the skating shack once the ground thaws.
MOTION: DeLuca/Reichel at adjourn at 8:30 pm.
Ellen Trancheff, Clerk
Mary Worringer, Chairman